The Right of Abode in the UK

The right of abode in the United Kingdom is an immigration status that allows people to live, work, and travel in the UK without any immigration restrictions. If you're a Commonwealth citizen, you might be eligible for this valuable privilege. In this user-friendly article, we'll break down what the right of abode is and who qualifies for it.

What is the Right of Abode?

Imagine having the freedom to live, work, and come and go from the UK as you please, without the hassle of visas or time limits. That's precisely what the right of abode offers. It means you can enter and leave the UK without being subject to immigration controls.

Who Qualifies for the Right of Abode?

  1. British Citizens: If you're a British citizen, you have the right of abode in the UK. This includes those born in the UK, as well as those who acquired British citizenship through naturalization or registration.
  2. Certain Commonwealth Citizens: Even if you're not a British citizen, you may still be eligible for the right of abode if you're a citizen of a Commonwealth country and meet specific criteria.

Eligibility Criteria for Commonwealth Citizens:

To be eligible for the right of abode in the UK as a Commonwealth citizen, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Parent's Citizenship: You must be a Commonwealth citizen with a parent or adoptive parent who was a citizen of the UK and Colonies (CUKC) by birth in the UK at the time of your birth or adoption.
  • Marriage: If you're a female Commonwealth citizen, you must be (or have been) married to a man with the right of abode at any time before 31 December 1982.
  • Continuous Commonwealth Citizenship: Importantly, you must not have ceased to be a Commonwealth citizen at any time since then.

If you meet these criteria, you can enjoy the benefits of the right of abode in the UK.

Proving Your Right of Abode:

It's crucial to have proper documentation to prove your right of abode when necessary. For example, you may need to show your passport containing proof of your right of abode when entering the UK. If you have any doubts or need further information, do not hesitate us for a legal advice!

Recent articles

The Shortage Occupation List

The Shortage Occupation List

From Spouse Visa to ILR - Сomplete Guide

From Spouse Visa to ILR - Сomplete ...

What is BRP?

What is BRP?

Nelli Thesis

Nelli Thesis