Streamlining Your ILR to BRP Transfer
Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the United Kingdom is a significant milestone in one's immigration journey. It grants individuals the right to live and work in the UK without any time restrictions. However, the format of immigration documents has evolved over the years, and ILR holders who still possess the older-style visa vignette in their passports may consider transferring their status to a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). In this article, we will explore the process of transferring an ILR visa to a BRP, the advantages of doing so, and the steps involved.
When to Apply for a Transfer of ILR to a BRP
The great news is that there's no specific time frame to apply for an NTL BRP. As long as you hold ILR, you can make this application whenever it suits you. You might consider applying when:
- Your passport containing the indefinite leave to enter (ILE), indefinite leave to remain (ILR), or NTL endorsement has been lost, stolen, or has expired.
- You have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, but you lack any documentary evidence confirming this. This could happen if you were deemed settled in the UK on January 1, 1973, in accordance with section 1(2) of the Immigration Act 1971.
- You've legitimately changed your identity.
How to Apply to Transfer an ILR to a BRP
The application process for an NTL BRP is straightforward:
- Fill Out the NTL Application Form: You can find the NTL application form online. Complete it with the required information.
- Biometrics: You will need to provide your biometrics, which include fingerprints and a photo. This is a standard part of the process.
- Required Documents: Gather the necessary documents, including a document confirming your identity, documents demonstrating your indefinite leave to remain, and evidence of any name changes.
Cost to Transfer an ILR to a BRP
The application itself does not require an application fee. However, keep in mind that the processing time for a standard application can take up to 6 months.
If you're in a hurry to receive a decision, you have the option to pay an extra fee for the super-priority service.
BRP Validity Until December 2024
Before you proceed with your ILR to BRP transfer, it's crucial to be aware of the latest developments regarding Biometric Residence Permits. As of now, BRPs are only being issued with a validity until 31 December 2024. This means that even if your course or immigration permission extends beyond this date, your BRP will not reflect it.
This change is part of the Home Office's ongoing efforts to digitize the immigration system. Individuals with BRP cards will now have digital status, and the Home Office intends to cease issuing BRP cards from 1 January 2025. Visa holders will then rely solely on their digital status to demonstrate their right to work, right to rent property, and to open a bank account.